Question

Healthy Sleeping

How do I get back to sleep after getting up in the middle of the night?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    More often than not, we are awakened at least once a night. We can't keep ourselves from waking, but we can help ourselves to go back to sleep with these tips:
    • Keep a notebook and pen on your bedside table. Begin writing to-dos and reminders an hour before bed so that you aren't compiling a mental list for the next day. If you awake suddenly remembering an important task, write it down rather than trying to commit it to memory.
    • Try counting backwards from 300 by threes. Simple math can keep our thoughts from wondering and yet isn't so difficult that it will frustrate you.
    • If you're still awake after 15 minutes, get up and do something quiet, like reading a book. You have to let your body and mind slow down to be able to slip into sleep, so that means quiet activities only.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
  • AMichael Breus, PhD, Psychology, answered
    Dr. Michael Breus - How do I get back to sleep after getting up in the middle of the night?
    Watch as Dr. Michael Breus provides tips on how to get back to sleep after getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.

Can caffeine make up for a lack of sleep?