Question

Healthy Nose

Where is the “triangle of death” on my face?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

Humans just can't seem to keep their hands off their faces. They are committed to plucking and popping any imperfections that they can see in the mirror. As tempting as this is, over-enthusiastic grooming can be dangerous if performed in the area of the face called the "triangle of death". This triangle extends from the corners of the mouth to the bridge of the nose.

The reason for this dramatic moniker is that blood vessels in the triangle drain to the back of the head, where they meet up with the veins at the base of the brain. From there, it is a quick shot to the cavernous sinus, which receives blood from this nearby web of veins. Infections here can cause vision loss, paralysis, headaches, and sometimes death. How the bacteria get there can have something to do with how we primp our faces.

How can I avoid infecting my “triangle of death"?