Question

Weight Loss Diets

What foods can I eat on the Mediterranean diet?

• AJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

In addition to a physically active lifestyle, the Mediterranean diet is rich in grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and nuts. The majority of the fat in the diet is provided by olives, olive oil, fish and seafood.

Additionally, water should be abundantly consumed throughout the day and low to moderate amounts of wine were enjoyed can be enjoyed with meals. Click this link for a food pyramid with further information. http://bit.ly/Kt2VGS

• AOzgen Dogan, Cardiology, answered
    The mainstays of the Mediterranean diet are foods high in omega-3: coldwater fish like salmon, albacore tuna, halibut, sardines, mackerel, olive oil, walnuts, almonds and flaxseed. Food is often cooked with garlic. Bread is high fiber and whole grain. There's always a salad on the table, along with vegetables and fruits. Other sources of protein include lentils and beans. You can also put an Asian spin on the Mediterranean diet by adding soy, like tofu, and sushi, making it the best of both worlds. In Turkey during the 1970s and 1980s, only the rich could afford meat. While the wealthy ate steak and other expensive cuts of beef, poor people ate beans and veggies. Now we realize who was eating healthier sources of protein.
  • ALayne Lieberman, MS, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    The foods you can eat on the Mediterranean diet include seafood, produce, legumes and dairy -- and even some meat, olive oil and red wine. In this video, culinary nutritionist Layne Lieberman, RD, shares the main staples of this heart-healthy diet. 
  • Want to know which foods to eat for the Mediterranean diet? Follow these guidelines:
    • Eat a high consumption of fruits, vegetables, bread and other cereals, potatoes, beans, nuts and seeds.
    • Use olive oil as an important monounsaturated fat source.
    • Eat low to moderate amounts of dairy products, fish and poultry.
    • Eat small amounts of red meat.
    • Consume eggs no more than four times a week.
    • Drink wine in low to moderate amounts.
  • AHealthCorps answered
    The Mediterranean diet eating program includes: vegetables and fruits, whole grains, nuts, olives, olive oil, small amounts of cheese, yogurt, fish, poultry, eggs and wine. What’s not to love? Obviously you need to find a caloric balance that meets your weight and health needs, but clearly there is no deprivation on a program like this. Preparation of foods is simple, and deep frying is not an option. Rarely included but not forbidden are meat, sweets and foods heavy in saturated fat or sodium.
Can the Mediterranean diet prolong my life?