Question

Flaxseed Oil

How should I grind flax seed?

• AToby Smithson, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

If you buy the whole flaxseed, remember to grind it up in a coffee grinder or blender before you use it. The whole flaxseed will provide a good fiber source, but the helpful Omega 3 fatty acids are not able to be processed by the body in this state. You can grind the flaxseed as you need it and store the whole flaxseeds in your refrigerator to keep fresh.

• ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative & Complementary Medicine, answered

Buy whole flaxseeds and keep them in the freezer, only taking out what you need at the time. Once flaxseeds are ground, their precious essential fatty acids are exposed to oxygen and begin to degrade rapidly. For this reason you should not buy ground flaxseed meal, which is likely to be rancid or at least to have lost its health benefits.

Grind your flaxseeds in a small coffee grinder and immediately add to your food (like putting them on a salad or in granola).

Or if you have a Vita Mix, which I highly recommend, grind your flaxseeds first until they are powdered before adding all those wonderful raw fruits and veggies to make yourself a fabulous green smoothie.

• AMarisa Moore, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

To get the full benefit of flaxseed, you should grind it. You can purchase ground flaxseed in the health food section of the supermarket. It's often labelled as "milled" flaxseed.  If you purchase whole flaxseeds, grind them using a coffee grinder or small food processor.  Grind to the consistency of cornmeal or coarse flour.  Refrigerate after grinding.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What is the difference between flaxseed oil and linseed oil?