Question

Fibromyalgia Treatment

What qualifies a neurologist to treat fibromyalgia?

• ACeleste Cooper, Rheumatology, answered

I can remember when fibromyalgia landed under the umbrella of rheumatology. I suspect this was because of the muscle pain involved; however, FM is not a joint disease. Quite frankly,  I am not sure they were sure where to put us. At any rate, this is where we landed.

Since this classification was made research has exploded in the area of neurology. Most experts, including rheumatologists that treat FM, believe fibromyalgia is due to an upset in neurotransmission in the brain. Because of this, possibly the neurologist would be the person to see. However, they too are not well versed in the presence of myofascial trigger points as peripheral pain generators in FM or understand the myofascial involvement.

So for now, if you have a rheumatologist or neurologist that understands and is current with the research on FM, you are in the right place. 

Educate them as you can by sharing what you find on myofascial pain http://www.thesethree.com/cmp/chronic-myofascial-pain.php

In addition to addressing the central nervous system component, you need to get those pesky knotted up pieces of muscle fiber that radiate pain treated. Besides bringing you comfort it will help decrease the painful input to the brain. 

You need appropriate referrals to physical therapists and body workers that are advanced trained to treat myofascial trigger points.

• ADarshan Shah, MD, Neurology, answered on behalf of NorthShore University HealthSystem
    Fibromyalgia is commonly treated by a rheumatologist however family practioners, internists and neurologists are also well educated in its treatment.  Neurologists who have an indepth understanding of the causes and treatment of chronic pain, neuropathic pain and migraine headaches often use medications which are also used to treat fibromyalgia. 
What qualifies a rheumatologist to treat fibromyalgia?