Question

Energy Boosters

What vitamins can I take to boost my energy?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Dr. Oz - Fatigue Fighting Supplements

Many people think that popping a few vitamins will give them more energy. Not true, says Dr. Oz—unless you pick the right ones. In this video, Dr. Oz talks about the two supplements that can fight fatigue, and tells you the right way to use them.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    Taking vitamin supplements will boost your energy level only if you are deficient in them. In particular, our bodies need B vitamins to release the energy in foods. The family of B vitamins includes B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B12 and folic acid. Taking large amounts won't give you extra energy, however, so it isn't wise to consume more than the recommended daily allowance.  
  • AKaren Graham, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    B vitamins help the body covert fuel into energy. Try a good quality B-complex as opposed to taking just a B12 or just a B6. B vitamins are a group of vitamins that need each other to help produce energy.
  • ADominique Adair, Fitness, answered

Our bodies actually get energy (ATP) from the MACROnutrients we eat.  Macronutrients are the carbohydrates, proteins, and fats contained in our foods.  Vitamins belong to a group of nutrients called micronutrients (because we need them in “micro” amounts relative to the macronutrients).  These micronutrients help us liberate the energy from the carbohydrate, proteins and fats.  You probably don’t need a special vitamin if you are eating well, but you might want to explore spreading your meals and snacks throughout the day as that helps some people sustain their energy levels.  Try to eat mostly whole foods high in fiber so you don’t get that temporary jolt of energy that refined foods can provide, followed by a drop in energy a short time later.  Don’t forget also to examine sleep deprivation and stress which can be HUGE energy zappers.

Can deep breathing increase my energy level?