Question

Energy Boosters

What morning routine can give me more energy?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Many of us wake up exhausted, not realizing our morning routine can set the tone for the rest of the day. Here are two techniques to get your day started right, beginning with how you get out of bed in the morning.

A recent survey showed that people who get-up-and-go are more productive throughout the entire day. Here’s a tip to get your body going using a technique called bioelevation explosion. As we sleep, blood pools unevenly in our bodies due to our various sleep positions. As a result, our blood doesn’t circulate as readily as when we’re active. By just stepping out of bed, you’re allowing gravity to further inhibit that proper circulation. Instead, when you first get up, try getting into a squatting, crouched position, bringing your heart down to your knees. Then, explode up to a standing position! It may feel silly, but the movement helps get more of the blood that’s pooled over the course of the night back to your heart and head quickly, so you’re ready to take on the day.

Next, after your morning shower, it’s time to for some cold mitten friction to further increase your body’s circulation. Put on a pair of mittens, dip them in ice water, then proceed to rub your arms, legs, and feet in a circular motion toward your core. The technique draws on the ayurvedic, or ancient Indian, practice of “ishnan." The cold of the ice water constricts blood vessels and increases circulation to the heart, filtering out the bodily toxins that sap your energy. Add cold mitten friction to your morning routine for 2 minutes -- the same amount of time you’d use to brush your teeth -- for huge results.
How can I boost my energy in the morning?