Question

Dialysis

How long will I need to stay on dialysis?

• How long you stay on dialysis treatment depends on the type of kidney failure you have. If you have been diagnosed with acute kidney failure, which develops suddenly, toxins and fluids need to be removed from your blood immediately, and dialysis may be recommended. You will receive dialysis until your kidney function is restored to normal. Duration of treatment in these cases depends on the severity of your condition and the underlying disease causing acute kidney failure. If you have been diagnosed with advanced or permanent kidney failure, also referred to as chronic kidney failure, your dialysis treatment is probably long-term, but will help sustain your life and vastly improve your health.

• AEdtrina Moss, Ambulatory Care Nursing, answered on behalf of Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)

The survival rate for an individual who requires dialysis treatments is highly individualized. There are many factors that determine the survival rate for dialysis. Primarily, the co-morbid conditions (other chronic illnesses) that exist are a major determinant. Also, the illness that led to chronic renal failure also determines the survival rate. For example, if your primary diagnosis is Type II Diabetes, it is extremely important to consistently manage your blood glucose levels within a normal range, follow dietary recommendations by the physician and nutritionist, exercise regularly, and have regular check-ups.

Individuals have been known to survive on dialysis for 25 years or more. The ideal treatment plan however is a kidney transplant. There is a misconception that dialysis is the cause of mortality. To the contrary, it is the complications that result from renal failure in addition to other co-morbid conditions that usually lead to death.

How does dialysis affect what I drink?