What you eat plays a significant role in not only how much cholesterol you absorb directly from food but also how much your body produces. For example, a diet high in cholesterol may cause too much cholesterol to be absorbed into your bloodstream. And a diet high in saturated fat may cause your liver to produce too much cholesterol. The liver produces about 80 percent of the cholesterol in your body (plenty for your body to function optimally), while the remaining 20 percent is absorbed directly from the foods you eat.
A Answers (3)
Your diet can have a major impact on your blood cholesterol levels. Some foods increase total and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels while others decrease those levels and may even improved good cholesterol levels.
Foods high in saturated and trans fats have been shown to increase total and LDL cholesterol levels. Examples include fried foods, baked goods like cakes, pies and cookies, and high fat meats and cheeses.
Foods rich in unsaturated fats can actually decrease total and LDL cholesterol levels. Examples include canola and olive oil and a variety of nuts and seeds. Foods high in soluble fiber can also help. Try beans and peas, oats and a variety of fruits and vegetables.
Dole Nutrition Institute answeredDiets that are high in saturated and trans fats, fried foods, and high-fat meats and cheeses can raise cholesterol levels, especially the atherogenic (or plaque-causing) LDL cholesterol. Intake of some foods and beverages has been associated with higher HDL levels—as is the case with modest wine consumption.