Question

Broken Bones

Is there anything I can do to help a bone heal faster?

• ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative & Complementary Medicine, answered

Symphytum is a natural remedy that will mend broken bones more quickly, along with Calcarea phosphorica (or Calc. phos. for short), which is a type of calcium prepared homeopathically to be more easily absorbed and used by the body.

It’s hard to prove this effectiveness in people. In my own case, I took Symphytum for a broken ankle and asked for an X-ray to show that it was healed ahead of schedule, because I was dying to get the cast off, but the doctor refused because he didn’t believe it was possible.

We have indirect evidence, though, from holistic vets, who use the same remedies for animals that we use for people. They find that homeopathic remedies like Symphytum and Calc phos can definitely speed healing time. (For more information about treating animals with natural remedies like this, kindly see Part 2 of A Healer In Every Home, the Dog and Cat Edition. One thing you may notice, if you try Symphytum, is that it can help with the sharp pain in the broken bone.)

Of course it’s also wise to maximize calcium and other bone-mending substances with food and supplements, for example as described in Pam Levin’s Perfect Bones.

Directions: Get the 30c strength (potency) of Symphytum in any health food store or online. Dissolve a couple of pellets in your mouth as a single dose. Take a dose twice a day as long as you are feeling pain in the break, then once a day for a week, then once a week until it’s healed.

For Calc phos, be sure to get the 6x potency or strength. This means it is a tissue salt or cell salt. It’s like a nutritional supplement prepared with a gentle homeopathic process to make it easier to absorb (because minerals like calcium are hard for the body to absorb). It will help give your body the building blocks it needs to repair the bone while Symphytum gives your body the information or blueprint.

For more information about all the ways you can use tissue salts, kindly see my book, A Healer In Every Home.

• There have been many claims that electrical stimulation, ultrasound treatment, and even magnets can help a bone heal faster; however, there is no clear evidence that any of these work. A bone takes, on average, four to six weeks to heal. The best ways to ensure a bone heals appropriately is to quit smoking, eat a balanced diet including all the food groups, and making sure you stick to your treatment plan. Cigarette smoking will decrease the blood flow to the bone that brings the nutrients and cells necessary for bone to heal. A balanced diet provides those nutrients that need to be delivered to the bone. Removing a cast too early or bearing weight on a bone not yet healed can result in a bone not healing in a timely fashion.
What happens after surgery for a fracture?