Question

Body Image

How can I feel better about myself?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

Being overly selfcritical can wreak havoc on your self-esteem, but there are a few things you can do to combat this.

1. Think about your best friend (and if you don’t have one, think of someone you admire). List three things about them that you really like.
    2. Now do the same thing about yourself. And you can’t say there is nothing you like. Think about traits that you definitely have, such as your ability to be a loyal friend, or your ability to stay focused on one thing--even if that one thing is being negative about yourself. Think how great that focus could be if you could just get it stuck on something positive!
    3. Write your positive qualities on yellow stickies and place them strategically in your room, in the kitchen, on the bathroom mirror, and other places you’re sure to see them.

One of the ways that people develop and reinforce low self-esteem is by mentally telling themselves they’re not good enough or smart enough or handsome/beautiful enough, and so forth. Drown out that negative self-talk with positive self-talk. Create a mantra, or a saying that you repeat over and over to yourself, either aloud or in your head: I’m attractive, I’m funny, I’m a great guy. It may be hard at first, but keep doing it anyway.

After awhile, this positive affirmation will replace the negative self-image you’ve been carrying with you.    

How can I accept my physical limitations?