Yes, a family history of colorectal cancer is a risk factor for developing the disease. People who have a close relative (parent or sibling) with colon cancer are at greater risk than those who do not. If this is the case, we recommend that you get a colonoscopy 10 years before the age that you
It is unusual but not impossible. Most patients are diagnosed in their sixth decade and above. However, patients with inflammatory bowel disease as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are at increased risk for cancer. My youngest patient with colon cancer was 21 when she discover a mass on h
Colon polyps are removed in two ways, depending on the size of the polyp. Small ones can be removed with a grasper with small teeth, land arger ones can be snared on, like a lasso, with electrocurrent going through it to ensure that there's no bleeding.
Very often, a lot of patients have trouble believing they have colorectal cancer because they do NOT have any symptoms. For others, they might have abdominal pain, bloating, change in bowel habit or weight loss. Unfortunately with symptoms, their cancer might already be advance. Another non-spe
Anal fissure are tears in the opening area. It often causes pain especially after bowel movements and sometimes associated with bleeding. Patients often complain of being afraid to go to the bathroom due to the spasmodic pain they get afterwards. This is most often assumed by patients to be "he
Although 50 is the recommended age to begin colon cancer screenings, it does not mean that younger people do not get the disease. Patients with history of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease are at increased risk and need screening much earlier. Patients with a history of polyps are also at an in
The most common pushback I get from patients who have never gotten a colonoscopy is that they don't have any symptoms or family history of the disease. Of the patients who are diagnosed with colon cancer, only 25 percent of them have a family history. The remaining 75 percent do not. Patie