What Are the Causes of Ovarian Cancer?

Read Transcript

There are several potential risk factors for ovarian cancer. I wouldn't really say that can pinpoint a cause for ovarian cancer. About 15% of ovarian cancers are related to familial syndromes that we call hereditary breast ovarian cancer and other similar syndromes where patients have family members have been afflicted, and we are able to find the ideology of that cancer probably pinpointed to some sort of chromosomal genetic abnormality.

But then it's again only about 15% of ovarian cancers that we know of. The other 85% are sporadic.