How to Treat a Bee Sting

Read Transcript

Hi, I'm Dr. Altmann. Bee stings are no fun no matter how old you are. Here's what to do if your child is stung. First, look and see if there is any visible stinger. Remove it by gently scraping horizontally across the skin with the edge of a credit card or a clean fingernail. Wash the area with soap and water, then apply ice or a cool compress to help sooth pain and swelling.

You can also give her an appropriate dose of Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen for the pain. If the sting itches, apply a topical anti-itch medication like hydro-cortisone cream, or calamine lotion or give an appropriate dose of an oral anti-antihistamine. Check with your pediatrician if you spot any signs of a secondary skin infection such as increasing redness, pain, drainage or pus.

If there is an infection, your child may need an antibiotic. Also, keep an eye out for any symptom of an allergic reaction, trouble breathing or swallowing, facial swelling or hives are signs of anaphylaxis. In that case seek medical attention immediately. If your child is known to be severely allergic to stings and is having signs of anaphylaxis use your epinephrine pen and seek medical attention right away.

I'm Dr. Altmann, for more ways to keep your kids healthy and safe, watch all our smart tips.