Dr. Ronald Leaf - What medical specialists can help treat autism?

Read Transcript

This is a difficult question because there is not one type of special [xx] treat autism. It really comes down those that are trained, have experience, have received supervision and working with treatment of autism, and that changes from state to state from country to country, those that have the experience.

Typically you're looking at psychologists have studied Applied Behavior Analysis in Graduate School, and have a history of that kind of approach and have applied it to autism. So over all that perhaps is then the number one specialist in the treatment of autism. But you'll find marriage and family therapists that had a hard experience of autism that can do treatment.

You'll find neurologists that might have some understanding of autism. But it really comes down to those that have the experience, the expertise and very devoted their careers to the treatment of autism.