What Are the Symptoms of a Poisonous Plant Reaction?

Read Transcript

Are poison oak sumac of poison ivy has a chemical in it, that absorbs quickly into your skin and then it sometimes takes several hours, so you're already out of the outdoors and you notice little bumps that start to get raised, red and itchy and then sometimes it can start to weep like the blister and discharge some fluid.

That fluid is not contagious but the problem is people think it is because patches of poison ivy will crop up in different areas. It's probably related to the resin from the poison ivy that's gotten on your clothes or your pet or your garden tools that can last for months and months.

So, if you notice you're getting poison ivy and you haven't been outside, you should consider your pets washing your garden and things like that. Some people are severely allergic to poison ivy , and one of the dangers is if you're burning plants with poison ivy and you inhale it you can have severe anaphylactic type reaction, but a lot of people are not that allergic, and it gets better on their own.

But the key is not to scratch it. Because by scratching it you can actually cause it to get infected and then you have another whole set of problems so taking over the counter antihistamines to stop the itching and the oatmeal birth, there is calamine lotion all of those things can kind of help once you get the rash.

Some people say if you spray your clothes or your skin with anti-perspirant that has alluminum Chlorohydrate in it that it will lock the actual resin from getting in to your skin or cloth.