Can Zika virus be fatal?

Doctors have attributed some deaths to complications of Zika virus. First, however, know that infections are almost always mild, and people recover fully within about a week. Four out of five people have no symptoms at all. But experts have found a possible link between Zika and Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS), a condition in which the immune system begins to attack the nerves. Most people recover from GBS, too, but in rare cases it can lead to paralysis and death. In Colombia, doctors announced in February 2015 that they had attributed several deaths to GBS brought on by Zika virus. The connection between Zika and GBS still isn't fully understood, though. Zika has also been linked in rare cases to other neurological problems, such as meningoencephalitis. 

Zika could be fatal in another way. The virus has been strongly linked with a birth defect called microcephaly, which causes infants to be born with small heads and underdeveloped brains. These babies may be stillborn or die after birth. 

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
Is there a test that can diagnose Zika in myself or my baby?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A blood test is done to diagnose a Zika virus infection. The test is called a polymerase chain react...
How strong is the link between Zika and microcephaly?
The link between the Zika virus and a birth defect called microcephaly (small head) is based on case...
What Should I Consider When Traveling to an Area with the Zika Virus?