What are the risks of getting infected with Zika if I'm pregnant?

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, MD
Fitness Specialist

It is not known whether the risks of getting infected with Zika while you're pregnant are higher in one trimester of pregnancy than others. Scientists who are looking at children with microcephaly believe that earlier stages of pregnancy—earlier trimesters—are probably riskier than later trimesters, but it is not known for sure.

If you are pregnant and your partner has traveled to an area with Zika virus, guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is that you either abstain or practice absolutely safe sex for the duration of the pregnancy, because it is simply not known for sure what is the riskiest stage.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
Can Zika virus be transmitted sexually?
Rabiya Suleman, MDRabiya Suleman, MD
Zika virus can be transmitted sexually from an infected male to his female or male partner during va...
How can I reduce my risk for exposure to Zika virus?
There are some simple ways to decrease your risk for exposure to Zika virus. It is important to wear...
What Might Happen to My Baby If I Get Zika When I'm Pregnant?