What are the risks of getting infected with Zika if I'm pregnant?

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, MD
Fitness Specialist

It is not known whether the risks of getting infected with Zika while you're pregnant are higher in one trimester of pregnancy than others. Scientists who are looking at children with microcephaly believe that earlier stages of pregnancy—earlier trimesters—are probably riskier than later trimesters, but it is not known for sure.

If you are pregnant and your partner has traveled to an area with Zika virus, guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is that you either abstain or practice absolutely safe sex for the duration of the pregnancy, because it is simply not known for sure what is the riskiest stage.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Morihei Ueshiba, founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido, once said, “The spirit is the true shield.” While there’s no doubt Ueshiba was onto so...
How can I cancel my travel plans if I'm concerned about the Zika virus?
Carrie L. Sloan, MDCarrie L. Sloan, MD
If you are worried about the Zika virus and want to cancel your travel plans, ask your airline or ho...
How can I prevent the spread of Zika virus?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
To prevent the spread of Zika virus the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends ...
How the Zika Virus Is Diagnosed
How the Zika Virus Is Diagnosed