What should I know about the Zika virus?

If you are a woman of childbearing age and are trying to get pregnant or are not on birth control, you should avoid traveling to areas where Zika is active.

If you are in an area where the Zika virus is regularly seen (endemic), you should take steps to avoid mosquito bites.

Some are:

• Wear long sleeves and long pants.
  • Use mosquito repellent.

Zika can spread by having sex. You should also practice safe sex by using a condom.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Morihei Ueshiba, founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido, once said, “The spirit is the true shield.” While there’s no doubt Ueshiba was onto so...
How can I cancel my travel plans if I'm concerned about the Zika virus?
Carrie L. Sloan, MDCarrie L. Sloan, MD
If you are worried about the Zika virus and want to cancel your travel plans, ask your airline or ho...
If I have to travel while I'm pregnant, how can I prevent exposure to Zika?
If you are pregnant and traveling, you should avoid areas that have reported cases of the Zika virus...
Should I Delay My Pregnancy Because of the Zika Virus?