What is congenital Zika syndrome?

Congenital Zika syndrome is a group of health conditions present at birth associated with Zika infection during pregnancy. Congenital Zika syndrome includes birth defects (like microcephaly) and other health and development problems. Microcephaly is a birth defect in which a baby’s head is smaller than expected, compared to babies of the same sex and age.

Babies with congenital Zika syndrome need special medical care from a team of healthcare providers and other specialists. The best way to protect your baby from congenital Zika syndrome is to protect yourself from Zika infection before and during pregnancy. Learn more at: marchofdimes.org/congenitalzikasyndrome

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
Is there a test that can diagnose Zika in myself or my baby?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A blood test is done to diagnose a Zika virus infection. The test is called a polymerase chain react...
Is there a link between the Zika virus and neurological problems?
There is a link between the Zika virus and neurological problems in babies born to women who test po...
What Should I Know About the Zika Virus?