What can I expect if I do get Zika?

Khang N. Tran, MD
In an otherwise healthy person, Zika is relatively mild and lasts a few days to a week. During this time you should avoid being bitten by mosquitos and transmitting it to others.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Zika Virus

Zika Virus

Zika virus is a tropical disease that is spread by Aedes species of mosquitoes. Until 2015, the virus was limited to small outbreaks in regions of Africa, Asia and the Pacific Islands. Mosquitoes can pick up the virus by biting an ...

n infected person, and then transmit it to someone else they bite later. The virus doesn’t generally spread from person to person directly, though sexual transmission is possible.