What should I consider when traveling to an area with the Zika virus?

If you must travel to an area where the Zika virus is present, take steps to prevent mosquito bites. Use an Environmental Protection Agency-registered insect repellent. The label says they are safe for pregnant women.

Know that the Zika virus can be spread through sex. You can prevent this by using a condom for vaginal, anal and oral sex.

Mosquito prevention is recommended if you must travel in an area with the Zika virus.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika
While women of childbearing age rightfully worry about getting Zika—the mosquito-borne virus linked to microcephaly and other severe birth defects—man...
What are the risks of getting infected with Zika if I'm pregnant?
Dr. Sanjay Gupta, MDDr. Sanjay Gupta, MD
It is not known whether the risks of getting infected with Zika while you're pregnant are higher in ...
What should I know about the Zika virus?
If you are a woman of childbearing age and are trying to get pregnant or are not on birth control, y...
What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika