What are my chances of getting Zika?

Your chance, or risk, of getting Zika depends on where you live or travel. The Zika virus has been seen in Mexico, Central America, South America, Puerto Rico and on several Caribbean islands. Anyone traveling to these areas may come in contact with the Zika virus. You should take steps to prevent mosquito bites. In the U.S, the Zika virus has so far been found only in limited areas in Florida, although people who have come in contact with the virus elsewhere have returned to country with the infection. (This is called a travel-associated case.)

Your risk of contracting the Zika virus is very, very low. In fact, many people who contract Zika may not even realize it. So far, there is no mosquito-borne transmission of the Zika virus within the United States, so most screening efforts are looking to see if a person has traveled to an area where it is endemic. Zika is contracted by mosquitoes in Puerto Rico and Central and South America. So, doctors are screening for Zika to see if a person or a sexual partner has been in one of these territories. The tricky part is that the incubation time of the virus is between three and seven days. So, you might come back from a vacation or a conference and show no signs yet.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Only 1 in 5 people bitten by a mosquito infected with Zika will actually get Zika. A person may not become infected—possibly because their immune system was on overdrive that day, or the amount of the virus carried by the mosquito was very small.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Morihei Ueshiba, founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido, once said, “The spirit is the true shield.” While there’s no doubt Ueshiba was onto so...
How can I prevent the spread of Zika virus?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
To prevent the spread of Zika virus the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends ...
If I'm pregnant in the Southeast U.S., how do I prevent getting Zika virus?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
If you are pregnant in the Southeast U.S., you can prevent getting Zika virus by not traveling to ar...
Dr. Oz Answers Your Zika Virus Questions