Should I be tested for the Zika virus if I'm pregnant?

Carrie L. Sloan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are pregnant and have traveled to an area where the Zika virus is spreading, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says you should be tested within two weeks if you have any of these symptoms:
  • fever
  • rash
  • joint pain
  • red eyes (conjunctivitis)
However, most people who are infected with the Zika virus don’t have symptoms. So, if you are pregnant and recently visited an area where Zika is spreading, tell your doctor. Ask about getting tested -- even if you don’t have symptoms.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika
While women of childbearing age rightfully worry about getting Zika—the mosquito-borne virus linked to microcephaly and other severe birth defects—man...
Is there a test that can diagnose Zika in myself or my baby?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A blood test is done to diagnose a Zika virus infection. The test is called a polymerase chain react...
How can I prevent the spread of Zika virus?
Lourdes Health SystemLourdes Health System
To prevent the spread of Zika virus the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends ...
Dr. Oz Answers Your Zika Virus Questions