Should I be tested for the Zika virus if I'm pregnant?

Carrie L. Sloan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are pregnant and have traveled to an area where the Zika virus is spreading, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says you should be tested within two weeks if you have any of these symptoms:
  • fever
  • rash
  • joint pain
  • red eyes (conjunctivitis)
However, most people who are infected with the Zika virus don’t have symptoms. So, if you are pregnant and recently visited an area where Zika is spreading, tell your doctor. Ask about getting tested -- even if you don’t have symptoms.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Morihei Ueshiba, founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido, once said, “The spirit is the true shield.” While there’s no doubt Ueshiba was onto so...
What might happen to my baby if I get Zika when I'm pregnant?
If you are infected with the Zika virus while pregnant, your baby may be born with a small brain or ...
What are the risks of getting infected with Zika if I'm pregnant?
Dr. Sanjay Gupta, MDDr. Sanjay Gupta, MD
It is not known whether the risks of getting infected with Zika while you're pregnant are higher in ...
3 Ways to Protect Against Zika Virus
3 Ways to Protect Against Zika Virus