Should I be tested for the Zika virus if I'm pregnant?

Carrie L. Sloan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are pregnant and have traveled to an area where the Zika virus is spreading, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says you should be tested within two weeks if you have any of these symptoms:
  • fever
  • rash
  • joint pain
  • red eyes (conjunctivitis)
However, most people who are infected with the Zika virus don’t have symptoms. So, if you are pregnant and recently visited an area where Zika is spreading, tell your doctor. Ask about getting tested -- even if you don’t have symptoms.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Zika Virus

Zika Virus

Zika virus is a tropical disease that is spread by Aedes species of mosquitoes. Until 2015, the virus was limited to small outbreaks in regions of Africa, Asia and the Pacific Islands. Mosquitoes can pick up the virus by biting an ...

n infected person, and then transmit it to someone else they bite later. The virus doesn’t generally spread from person to person directly, though sexual transmission is possible.