Should I be tested for the Zika virus if I'm pregnant?

Carrie L. Sloan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are pregnant and have traveled to an area where the Zika virus is spreading, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says you should be tested within two weeks if you have any of these symptoms:
  • fever
  • rash
  • joint pain
  • red eyes (conjunctivitis)
However, most people who are infected with the Zika virus don’t have symptoms. So, if you are pregnant and recently visited an area where Zika is spreading, tell your doctor. Ask about getting tested -- even if you don’t have symptoms.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
How can I avoid contracting the Zika virus?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
To avoid contracting the Zika virus, take proper precautions to avoid being bitten by the mosquito t...
How is Zika virus treated?
So far, there is no treatment for Zika virus. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) c...
What Might Happen to My Baby If I Get Zika When I'm Pregnant?