Should I cancel travel plans due to the Zika virus if I’m pregnant?

It’s unclear if women who are in the early stages of pregnancy should change their travel plans because of the Zika virus. There is probably a critical point in pregnancy when coming into contact with the virus is very risky. So, even if you’re early in your pregnancy, it’s best to think about whether it’s worth putting your little one at risk. Talk to your doctor about your travel plans.

If you do end up going, take steps necessary to prevent mosquito bites.

• Use bug spray.
  • Wear clothes that cover your arms and legs.

Try to avoid mosquito bites in general. Aside from Zika, there are still concerns about other disease spread by mosquitos, like malaria and dengue.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/.

The Centers for Disease Control currently recommends that pregnant women should consider postponing any travel to areas where the Zika virus is regularly seen. This includes the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, the Pacific Islands, South America and Africa.

Also, Zika can be spread by sex. You or your partner should use a condom if you live in or have traveled to an area where Zika infections are present.

Pregnant women should regularly review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) travel guidelines for travel to countries where Zika is either endemic or epidemic. Pregnant women should also discuss their travel plans with their physicians before traveling to countries where there is active transmission of the Zika virus.

Follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s interim guidelines, which state that pregnant women in any trimester should postpone travel to areas with ongoing Zika virus transmission. Also, if you’re trying to become pregnant, check with your doctor before you go.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
What can I expect if I do get Zika?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
In an otherwise healthy person, Zika is relatively mild and lasts a few days to a week. During this ...
How does Zika virus spread?
Zika is primarily transmitted through the bite of infected Aedes mosquitoes. These mosquitoes typica...
3 Ways to Prevent a Zika Infection
3 Ways to Prevent a Zika Infection