Is there a test that can diagnose Zika in myself or my baby?

A blood test is done to diagnose a Zika virus infection. The test is called a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test. It looks for an antibody-antigen reaction, which will show substances specific to the virus.

The test is best done in the first three days after you've been infected.

Your doctor will order the test if you have the symptoms of Zika and have been in an area where the virus is regularly seen.

Zika testing is usually done with a blood or urine test. The virus can be detected in blood in about the first seven days after symptoms start, and in urine for about the first 14 days. A rapid test at your local doctor's office isn't available yet, though. Your doctor would have to send the samples to specialized labs for testing, so the availability of the test is limited. Researchers are working on a test that will be faster and more accessible.

Currently, the only agency testing for Zika is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and a few state health departments. If you’ve recently returned from one of the outbreak areas and develop symptoms, your healthcare provider may contact a state or local health department to facilitate testing.

There is no in-utero test to see if your baby has the virus. However, if one of my pregnant patients reported these symptoms after returning from a trip, I would refer her to a maternal fetal medicine doctor; essentially a high-risk OB. He or she would probably order more frequent ultrasounds to make sure the baby’s head growth was keeping up with the rest of the body.

If you are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant, use common sense: Postpone travel to Zika transmission areas, take extra precautions to avoid mosquito bites, and be aware of potential symptoms.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
Should I be tested for the Zika virus if I'm pregnant?
Carrie L. Sloan, MDCarrie L. Sloan, MD
If you are pregnant and have traveled to an area where the Zika virus is spreading, the Centers for ...
Should I cancel travel plans due to the Zika virus if I’m pregnant?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
It’s unclear if women who are in the early stages of pregnancy should change their travel plans beca...
What Scientists Know About the Zika Virus So Far