Is there a test that can diagnose Zika in myself or my baby?

A blood test is done to diagnose a Zika virus infection. The test is called a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test. It looks for an antibody-antigen reaction, which will show substances specific to the virus.

The test is best done in the first three days after you've been infected.

Your doctor will order the test if you have the symptoms of Zika and have been in an area where the virus is regularly seen.

Currently, the only agency testing for Zika is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and a few state health departments. If you’ve recently returned from one of the outbreak areas and develop symptoms, your healthcare provider may contact a state or local health department to facilitate testing.

There is no in-utero test to see if your baby has the virus. However, if one of my pregnant patients reported these symptoms after returning from a trip, I would refer her to a maternal fetal medicine doctor; essentially a high-risk OB. He or she would probably order more frequent ultrasounds to make sure the baby’s head growth was keeping up with the rest of the body.

If you are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant, use common sense: Postpone travel to Zika transmission areas, take extra precautions to avoid mosquito bites, and be aware of potential symptoms.

Zika testing is usually done with a blood or urine test. The virus can be detected in blood in about the first seven days after symptoms start, and in urine for about the first 14 days. A rapid test at your local doctor's office isn't available yet, though. Your doctor would have to send the samples to specialized labs for testing, so the availability of the test is limited. Researchers are working on a test that will be faster and more accessible.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika
While women of childbearing age rightfully worry about getting Zika—the mosquito-borne virus linked to microcephaly and other severe birth defects—man...
What screening tests are done to detect the Zika virus?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Screening for the Zika virus typically happens as a person interfaces with the healthcare system. Pa...
What might happen to my baby if I get Zika when I'm pregnant?
Lourdes Health SystemLourdes Health System
If you get Zika when you are pregnant your baby could be born with defects. In April 2016, the Cente...
Oz Explains: The Zika Virus
Oz Explains: The Zika Virus