Is there a link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barre syndrome?

There is a link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barre syndrome. A small number of people who have been infected with the Zika virus have developed Guillain-Barre, in which the immune system attacks nerve cells, leading to weakness and sometimes paralysis.
A study has linked the Zika virus -- a mosquito-carried disease -- to Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), a disease of the nervous system that can cause muscle weakness or temporary paralysis. Guillain-Barré syndrome is an autoimmune disease in which the person’s own immune system attacks nerve cells in the arms, legs and other areas of the body. Guillain-Barré syndrome can affect all age groups, especially men over the age of 50. International experts continue to explore the link between Zika and other conditions, including Guillain-Barré syndrome.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika
While women of childbearing age rightfully worry about getting Zika—the mosquito-borne virus linked to microcephaly and other severe birth defects—man...
What are my chances of getting Zika?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Your risk of contracting the Zika virus is very, very low. In fact, many people who contract Zika ma...
How can I reduce my risk for exposure to Zika virus?
There are some simple ways to decrease your risk for exposure to Zika virus. It is important to wear...
How the Zika Virus Spreads
How the Zika Virus Spreads