Is there a link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barre syndrome?

There is a link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barre syndrome. A small number of people who have been infected with the Zika virus have developed Guillain-Barre, in which the immune system attacks nerve cells, leading to weakness and sometimes paralysis.
A study has linked the Zika virus -- a mosquito-carried disease -- to Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), a disease of the nervous system that can cause muscle weakness or temporary paralysis. Guillain-Barré syndrome is an autoimmune disease in which the person’s own immune system attacks nerve cells in the arms, legs and other areas of the body. Guillain-Barré syndrome can affect all age groups, especially men over the age of 50. International experts continue to explore the link between Zika and other conditions, including Guillain-Barré syndrome.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
How can I avoid contracting the Zika virus?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
To avoid contracting the Zika virus, take proper precautions to avoid being bitten by the mosquito t...
How can I cancel my travel plans if I'm concerned about the Zika virus?
Carrie L. Sloan, MDCarrie L. Sloan, MD
If you are worried about the Zika virus and want to cancel your travel plans, ask your airline or ho...
What Scientists Know About the Zika Virus So Far