If I have to travel while I'm pregnant, how can I prevent exposure to Zika?

If you are pregnant and traveling, you should avoid areas that have reported cases of the Zika virus.

If you cannot stay away from areas where there are a lot of mosquitos or where Zika is regularly seen (endemic), take steps to avoid mosquitos:

• Stay away from standing (stagnant water).
  • Wear long sleeves and long pants to cover your skin.
  • Use Environmental Protection Agency-approved mosquito repellent. Both pregnant and breastfeeding women may use this.

Since transmission of Zika is almost exclusively from infected mosquitos, you should do your best to avoid being bitten. Try these tips:

• Use an insect repellent (DEET is safe for pregnant women).
  • Cover exposed skin with long sleeves and pants.
  • Stay in screened, air-conditioned environments.
  • Be especially cautious during the day, when the Zika-carrying mosquito prefers to bite.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
How can I prevent the spread of Zika virus?
Lourdes Health SystemLourdes Health System
To prevent the spread of Zika virus the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends ...
What should I know about the Zika virus?
If you are a woman of childbearing age and are trying to get pregnant or are not on birth control, y...
Pregnant With the Zika Virus
Pregnant With the Zika Virus