If I have to travel while I'm pregnant, how can I prevent exposure to Zika?

If you are pregnant and traveling, you should avoid areas that have reported cases of the Zika virus.

If you cannot stay away from areas where there are a lot of mosquitos or where Zika is regularly seen (endemic), take steps to avoid mosquitos:

• Stay away from standing (stagnant water).
  • Wear long sleeves and long pants to cover your skin.
  • Use Environmental Protection Agency-approved mosquito repellent. Both pregnant and breastfeeding women may use this.

Since transmission of Zika is almost exclusively from infected mosquitos, you should do your best to avoid being bitten. Try these tips:

• Use an insect repellent (DEET is safe for pregnant women).
  • Cover exposed skin with long sleeves and pants.
  • Stay in screened, air-conditioned environments.
  • Be especially cautious during the day, when the Zika-carrying mosquito prefers to bite.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
What are my chances of getting Zika?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Your risk of contracting the Zika virus is very, very low. In fact, many people who contract Zika ma...
Is there a link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barre syndrome?
There is a link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barre syndrome. A small number of people who hav...
What Scientists Know About the Zika Virus So Far