If I have to travel while I'm pregnant, how can I prevent exposure to Zika?

If you are pregnant and traveling, you should avoid areas that have reported cases of the Zika virus.

If you cannot stay away from areas where there are a lot of mosquitos or where Zika is regularly seen (endemic), take steps to avoid mosquitos:

• Stay away from standing (stagnant water).
  • Wear long sleeves and long pants to cover your skin.
  • Use Environmental Protection Agency-approved mosquito repellent. Both pregnant and breastfeeding women may use this.

Since transmission of Zika is almost exclusively from infected mosquitos, you should do your best to avoid being bitten. Try these tips:

• Use an insect repellent (DEET is safe for pregnant women).
  • Cover exposed skin with long sleeves and pants.
  • Stay in screened, air-conditioned environments.
  • Be especially cautious during the day, when the Zika-carrying mosquito prefers to bite.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Morihei Ueshiba, founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido, once said, “The spirit is the true shield.” While there’s no doubt Ueshiba was onto so...
What should I consider when traveling to an area with the Zika virus?
If you must travel to an area where the Zika virus is present, take steps to prevent mosquito bites....
Can Zika virus be fatal?
Doctors have attributed some deaths to complications of Zika virus. First, however, know that infect...
What Are the Risks of Getting Infected with Zika If I'm Pregnant?