If I have to travel while I'm pregnant, how can I prevent exposure to Zika?

If you are pregnant and traveling, you should avoid areas that have reported cases of the Zika virus.

If you cannot stay away from areas where there are a lot of mosquitos or where Zika is regularly seen (endemic), take steps to avoid mosquitos:
  • Stay away from standing (stagnant water).
  • Wear long sleeves and long pants to cover your skin.
  • Use Environmental Protection Agency-approved mosquito repellent. Both pregnant and breastfeeding women may use this.
Khang N. Tran, MD
Since transmission of Zika is almost exclusively from infected mosquitos, you should do your best to avoid being bitten. Try these tips:
  • Use an insect repellent (DEET is safe for pregnant women).
  • Cover exposed skin with long sleeves and pants.
  • Stay in screened, air-conditioned environments.
  • Be especially cautious during the day, when the Zika-carrying mosquito prefers to bite.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Zika Virus

Zika Virus

Zika virus is a tropical disease that is spread by Aedes species of mosquitoes. Until 2015, the virus was limited to small outbreaks in regions of Africa, Asia and the Pacific Islands. Mosquitoes can pick up the virus by biting an ...

n infected person, and then transmit it to someone else they bite later. The virus doesn’t generally spread from person to person directly, though sexual transmission is possible.