If I'm pregnant in the Southeast U.S., how do I prevent getting Zika virus?

If you are pregnant in the Southeast U.S., you can prevent getting Zika virus by not traveling to areas where Zika is being spread by mosquitoes. For example, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Miami travel warning related to the Zika virus and pregnant women. Pregnant women should not travel to this area.

Additional ways pregnant women can protect themselves from Zika:
  • Partners should not be traveling to places that have the Zika virus.
  • If the male partner has to travel to a place that has Zika, when he comes back use a condom or refrain from being sexually active.
  • Do whatever you can to protect yourself from mosquitoes, such as wearing long sleeves, using insect repellent, staying away from dwelling water.
If you are pregnant in the Southeast U.S., you can prevent getting Zika virus by avoiding mosquito bites. The idea of Zika virus starting to spread would be the biggest concern for women who are pregnant in the southern U.S. In certain places in south Florida and south Texas, for example, it’s going to be more likely.

The following are some precautions for preventing mosquito bites:
  • Eliminate all sources of standing water.
  • Use insect repellants that contain DEET. The skin does not absorb enough of it to be a problem, either for mothers or babies, so don't be sparing with them.
  • Wear clothing that covers the skin, such as long sleeves.
  • Limit the amount of time that you are potentially exposed to mosquitoes.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika
While women of childbearing age rightfully worry about getting Zika—the mosquito-borne virus linked to microcephaly and other severe birth defects—man...
How can I cancel my travel plans if I'm concerned about the Zika virus?
Carrie L. Sloan, MDCarrie L. Sloan, MD
If you are worried about the Zika virus and want to cancel your travel plans, ask your airline or ho...
How long does Zika stay in semen?
Portsmouth Regional HospitalPortsmouth Regional Hospital
We do not know yet how long the Zika virus remains in semen. If you’re a man who has traveled to a c...
The Zika Virus Response in Florida
The Zika Virus Response in Florida