If I'm pregnant in the Southeast U.S., how do I prevent getting Zika virus?

If you are pregnant in the Southeast U.S., you can prevent getting Zika virus by not traveling to areas where Zika is being spread by mosquitoes. For example, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Miami travel warning related to the Zika virus and pregnant women. Pregnant women should not travel to this area.

Additional ways pregnant women can protect themselves from Zika:
  • Partners should not be traveling to places that have the Zika virus.
  • If the male partner has to travel to a place that has Zika, when he comes back use a condom or refrain from being sexually active.
  • Do whatever you can to protect yourself from mosquitoes, such as wearing long sleeves, using insect repellent, staying away from dwelling water.
If you are pregnant in the Southeast U.S., you can prevent getting Zika virus by avoiding mosquito bites. The idea of Zika virus starting to spread would be the biggest concern for women who are pregnant in the southern U.S. In certain places in south Florida and south Texas, for example, it’s going to be more likely.

The following are some precautions for preventing mosquito bites:
  • Eliminate all sources of standing water.
  • Use insect repellants that contain DEET. The skin does not absorb enough of it to be a problem, either for mothers or babies, so don't be sparing with them.
  • Wear clothing that covers the skin, such as long sleeves.
  • Limit the amount of time that you are potentially exposed to mosquitoes.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Morihei Ueshiba, founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido, once said, “The spirit is the true shield.” While there’s no doubt Ueshiba was onto so...
How can I avoid contracting the Zika virus?
To avoid contracting the Zika virus, you should do the following: Avoid mosquito bites by wearing...
Can Zika virus be transmitted sexually?
Rabiya Suleman, MDRabiya Suleman, MD
Zika virus can be transmitted sexually from an infected male to his female or male partner during va...
The Fight Against Zika
The Fight Against Zika