How strong is the link between Zika and microcephaly?

In April of 2016, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that there is enough evidence to conclude that the Zika virus does cause microcephaly and other severe or fatal birth defects. Women infected with Zika during pregnancy have an increased risk of having a baby with these problems, but not all babies will be affected. The CDC did express worry, however, that major defects such as microcephaly may be the "tip of the iceberg," and that more subtle developmental problems will come to light later.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

is there a test that can diagnose zika in myself or my baby ?
Zika testing is usually done with a blood or urine test. The virus can be detected in blood in about...
is there a link between the zika virus and guillain-barre syndrome ?
There is a link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barre syndrome. A small number of people who hav...
what screening tests are done to detect the zika virus ?
Screening tests to detect the Zika virus include the Trioplex Real-time RT-PCR test, MAC-ELISA and t...
how can i avoid contracting the zika virus ?
To avoid contracting the Zika virus, you should do the following: Avoid mosquito bites by wearing...