How can I prevent the spread of Zika virus?

To prevent the spread of Zika virus the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that people who could have been exposed to Zika–they come back from a trip and either have a mosquito bite or classic symptoms–stay indoors and avoid crowded outdoor settings and mosquito-laden areas for about three weeks.

While most of the time, the virus is at its peak levels in the blood for about one week, it's better if you just stay indoors with good screens or air conditioning, and wear mosquito repellant and long sleeves if you must go out, for three weeks. If you’re a homeowner, avoid keeping standing water in areas around your house that could serve as breeding pools for mosquitos.

Since there’s no vaccine and no cure, being in a place where there are fewer mosquitos, wearing insect repellant and wearing the long clothes makes all the difference in the world if there’s potential risk.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
If I'm pregnant in the Southeast U.S., how do I prevent getting Zika virus?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
If you are pregnant in the Southeast U.S., you can prevent getting Zika virus by not traveling to ar...
What are my chances of getting Zika?
Your chance, or risk, of getting Zika depends on where you live or travel. The Zika virus has been s...
3 Ways to Protect Against Zika Virus
3 Ways to Protect Against Zika Virus