How can I cancel my travel plans if I'm concerned about the Zika virus?

Carrie L. Sloan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are worried about the Zika virus and want to cancel your travel plans, ask your airline or hotel about their refund "window." Many airlines and hotels have a period of time in which you can cancel travel and get your money back, even if you didn’t buy travel insurance.

If you’re pregnant and the refund window has passed, ask your doctor for a written note on letterhead. This might help you get a refund or credit for future travel. The note should confirm your pregnancy and explain that you’ve are medically unable to travel in areas where the Zika virus is spreading.

The hotel or airline might want the note emailed or faxed directly from your doctor. Be prepared to give your doctor this information. Follow up until your doctor confirms that the letter has been sent. Also, follow up with the airline and hotel to make sure your refund or credit is on the way.

Then, make plans for a nice staycation here in the United States.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika
While women of childbearing age rightfully worry about getting Zika—the mosquito-borne virus linked to microcephaly and other severe birth defects—man...
How can I prevent the spread of Zika virus?
Lourdes Health SystemLourdes Health System
To prevent the spread of Zika virus the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends ...
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
What Should I Know About the Zika Virus?