How can I cancel my travel plans if I'm concerned about the Zika virus?

Carrie L. Sloan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are worried about the Zika virus and want to cancel your travel plans, ask your airline or hotel about their refund "window." Many airlines and hotels have a period of time in which you can cancel travel and get your money back, even if you didn’t buy travel insurance.

If you’re pregnant and the refund window has passed, ask your doctor for a written note on letterhead. This might help you get a refund or credit for future travel. The note should confirm your pregnancy and explain that you’ve are medically unable to travel in areas where the Zika virus is spreading.

The hotel or airline might want the note emailed or faxed directly from your doctor. Be prepared to give your doctor this information. Follow up until your doctor confirms that the letter has been sent. Also, follow up with the airline and hotel to make sure your refund or credit is on the way.

Then, make plans for a nice staycation here in the United States.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Morihei Ueshiba, founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido, once said, “The spirit is the true shield.” While there’s no doubt Ueshiba was onto so...
How does Zika virus spread?
Dr. Sanjay Gupta, MDDr. Sanjay Gupta, MD
Zika virus is spread by the female Aedes aegypti mosquito. These are mosquitoes that bite during the...
How can I avoid contracting the Zika virus?
To avoid contracting the Zika virus, you should do the following: Avoid mosquito bites by wearing...
3 Ways to Prevent a Zika Infection
3 Ways to Prevent a Zika Infection