How can I cancel my travel plans if I'm concerned about the Zika virus?

Carrie L. Sloan, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are worried about the Zika virus and want to cancel your travel plans, ask your airline or hotel about their refund "window." Many airlines and hotels have a period of time in which you can cancel travel and get your money back, even if you didn’t buy travel insurance.

If you’re pregnant and the refund window has passed, ask your doctor for a written note on letterhead. This might help you get a refund or credit for future travel. The note should confirm your pregnancy and explain that you’ve are medically unable to travel in areas where the Zika virus is spreading.

The hotel or airline might want the note emailed or faxed directly from your doctor. Be prepared to give your doctor this information. Follow up until your doctor confirms that the letter has been sent. Also, follow up with the airline and hotel to make sure your refund or credit is on the way.

Then, make plans for a nice staycation here in the United States.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

8 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Getting Zika
By now, unless you’ve been living under a (mosquito-free) rock, you’ve likely heard of the Zika virus, the risks associated with pregnant women gettin...
Is there a link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barre syndrome?
There is a link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barre syndrome. A small number of people who hav...
What are the risks of getting infected with Zika if I'm pregnant?
Dr. Sanjay Gupta, MDDr. Sanjay Gupta, MD
It is not known whether the risks of getting infected with Zika while you're pregnant are higher in ...
Why You Should Be Concerned About the Zika Virus