Can the Zika virus pass through breast milk?

There is currently no research to show that the Zika virus can spread through breast milk.

Zika virus has been found in breast milk, but there are no reports of babies getting infected with Zika from breastfeeding. Learn more at marchofdimes.org/zika.

There are currently no reports of infants getting Zika through breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Zika Virus

What Men Should Know About Zika
What Men Should Know About Zika
While women of childbearing age rightfully worry about getting Zika—the mosquito-borne virus linked to microcephaly and other severe birth defects—man...
What is Zika virus?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Zika is a virus that is spread by a type of mosquito called Aedes aegypti. There are two reasons why...
If I have to travel while I'm pregnant, how can I prevent exposure to Zika?
If you are pregnant and traveling, you should avoid areas that have reported cases of the Zika virus...
How the Zika Virus Spreads
How the Zika Virus Spreads