As a teen, are there any good addictions?

Absolutely. You can be addicted to reading, so that your dopamine system and pleasure centers get just as activated by a good book as by any other addictive substance. You can also be addicted to foods that in moderation might be really good for you but in excess could get your body into trouble. The same goes for physical activity; you can get a natural high from the endorphins that get released when you exercise regularly enough and hard enough. But there is such a thing as too much of a good thing with exercise; orthorexia refers to exercise addiction and an obsession with healthy food, or compulsive exercise to the point of ill health, without sufficient energy intake (food, liquids) to support
the energy expenditure. Exercise addiction can be deadly, if the person’s body is burning its own tissues for fuel--especially when it gets severe enough to cost heart muscle. Less serious, but still problematic, are overuse injuries--strains, tears, inflammation--to joints, muscle tendons, ligaments, and other connective tissues as a result of obsessively pushing the body too far.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Your Mind

What are the signs of an impulse control disorder in teens?
Impulse control disorders occur when impulsive behaviors get the best of you. They are character...
As a teen, why do I get suicidal if I have bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
I had my first suicidal episode when I was 19. My first boyfriend broke up with me and I simply didn...
Are There Certain Gut Instincts or Intuitions That I Should Never Ignore?
How Can I Develop My Intuition?
How Can I Develop My Intuition?