How can teens practice mindful living?

Gina M. Biegel

People often do things without being fully present, as if they were on automatic pilot. Living this way, they cheat themselves out of many moments in their lives. Trying to bring conscious awareness to your body and mind while remaining aware of the task you are engaging in will allow you to experience life more fully. Paying attention to your five senses (sight, sound, touch, taste, and smell) in your daily tasks can help you be aware in the present moment.

Below is a list of some daily tasks that you can bring mindful awareness to:

• waking up
  • brushing your teeth
  • showering
  • shaving
  • brushing your hair
  • getting dressed
  • tying your shoes
  • washing your hands
  • eating
  • walking to class
  • shopping
  • dancing
  • riding in a car
  • working out
  • folding laundry
  • taking out the garbage
  • washing dishes
  • cleaning your room
  • being with friends or family
  • writing
  • journaling
  • drawing
  • playing a musical instrument
  • playing a sport
  • getting into bed
  • going to sleep
The Stress Reduction Workbook for Teens: Mindfulness Skills to Help You Deal with Stress (Instant Help Solutions)

First, the bad news: your teenage years are some of the most stressful of your life. Up to 70 percent of teens say they're stressed out, and with pressure about grades at school, parents who just...

Continue Learning about Your Mind

How do the brains of teenagers differ from those of adults?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In adults, various parts of the brain work in concert to evaluate choice, form judgments and take ac...
As a teen, how can I tell if I have a mood disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Every annoying adult will tell a teenager that adolescence can be a troubling time. Hormones drive m...
Are There Certain Gut Instincts or Intuitions That I Should Never Ignore?
Why Is It Important to Trust My Intuition When It Comes to My Health?