As a teen, how can I stay safe online?

Keep these tips in mind to stay safe online:

• Don’t give out your personal information on Facebook or anywhere else in cyberspace. You do not need to share what school you go to, where you live, or any personal info.

• Don’t upload photos that you would not want your grandma, college guidance counselor, school principal, or future employer to see. The Internet is a tattoo that cannot be removed.

• Don’t email when angry. Really!

• Don’t friend someone you don’t know personally. Do you really want a stalker on your site?

• Don’t involve yourself in sending porn, which is prosecutable. That means no sending a breast or bottom shot to a significant other, a best friend, anyone-- ever!

• Report harassing behavior. If it doesn’t feel right, tell your parent, school guidance counselor, or another caring adult.

• Seek help if you are feeling bullied or harassed online.

• Be conscious of what brand of You appears on your Facebook or other social media site.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Your Lifestyle

Can anger help solve problems?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Just the act of getting angry will not solve problems, but anger may prompt action that can solve pr...
How can I lose weight as a teen when my family isn't supportive?
A solid support system is important for anyone trying to lose weight - especially a teen. In thi...
Is There a Correlation Between Political Beliefs and Life Expectancy?
A Healthy Lifestyle Trumps Genes
A Healthy Lifestyle Trumps Genes