What is the structure of my bones?

Most people think of bones as solid, hard all the way through. Actually, their physical structure is more like that of Swiss cheese: a solid mass dotted with tiny holes. Two kinds of cells work day and night to shape bone. Osteoblasts build up the structure, while osteoclasts, like little Pac-Men, break it down. The osteoblasts fill in the empty spaces with calcium and other minerals to make your bones hard and dense, while the Pac-Man osteoclasts chew up that bone and spit the calcium back into your bloodstream to circulate throughout the rest of your body.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Your Body

As a teen, should I use lemons to fade my scars?
The vitamin C in lemons doesn't fade scars. In this video, Drs. Roizen and Rome reveal a more ef...
As a teen, is it okay to take laxatives every day?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Overusing laxatives can be dangerous and may work against what you are trying to accomplish. In ...
Teens' Most Embarrasing Body Questions
Teens' Most Embarrasing Body Questions
As a Teen, Can I Use Accutane for Acne?
As a Teen, Can I Use Accutane for Acne?