How do I practice the yoga chest extension, or the fish pose?

To perform the fish pose, follow these steps:

1. Lie on your back on the floor with your knees bent, feet on the floor. Inhale, lift your pelvis slightly off the floor, and slide your hands, palms down, below your buttocks. Then rest your buttocks on the backs of your hands (and don’t lift them off your hands as you perform this pose). Be sure to tuck your forearms and elbows up close to the sides of your torso.
  2. Inhale and press your forearms and elbows firmly against the floor. Next press your scapulas into your back and, with an inhale, lift your upper torso and head away from the floor. Then release your head back onto the floor. Depending on how high you arch your back and lift your chest, either the back of your head or its crown will rest on the floor. There should be a minimal amount of weight on your head to avoid crunching your neck
  3. You can keep your knees bent or straighten your legs out onto the floor. If you do the latter, keep your thighs active, and press out through the heels.
  4. Stay for 15 to 30 seconds, breathing smoothly. With an exhalation lower your torso and head to the floor. Draw your thighs up into your belly and squeeze.

Continue Learning about Yoga

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Yoga for Financial Well-Being
I started yoga about the same time I started running. My first class was confusing. I didn’t know the poses, I struggled to keep up and after class th...
Where is the best place to take yoga?
Shayne Adair Shayne Adair
There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing where to take a yoga class such as: location, c...
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
Firm flabby thighs and get the toned legs you've always wanted with this simple yoga routine.
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?