Can yoga instruction help me learn deep breathing techniques?

Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Whether they have come to me to resolve illness, feel stressed about their life, or are confronted by any number of other obstacles in their life, every client I work with in developing their yoga practice ultimately gets instruction on how to breathe.  The act of controlling and developing breath is one of the primary tools used in the eightfold path outlined by the sage Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras, and a successful and productive exploration of it not only enhances how we live, but controlling and developing it gives us an opportunity to take charge of how we live moment to moment and day to day.  

To practice the full breath exercise, sit in a comfortable position on the floor, a blanket, a cushion, or a chair.  Allow yourself to sit with a natural curvature of the spine instead of slumped over and sunken.  Close the eyes, and breathe in through the nose for a few seconds, and then breathe out through the nose for about twice as many seconds.  Repeat this for five minutes, and then build up to a lengthier period of time over the ensuing weeks and months.

Yes, a good yoga instructor can help you learn how to perform deep breathing techniques. Several forms of yoga including hatha yoga focus heavily on deep breathing techniques as a main focal point in the poses and sequences. A qualified yoga instructor can teach you how to set your posture and activate your diaphragm to effectively breathe deeply and fully.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Overeating Help: A Benefit of Yoga
Overeating Help: A Benefit of Yoga
Wouldn't it be nice if, just once, you were able to say no to those office muffins or that second helping of Friday night pizza? Well, guess what? Yo...
What benefits can yoga offer your joints?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
The best benefit will be flexibility.  Everyone has tightness that they would like to remove.  In or...
21 Easy Yoga Poses
21 Easy Yoga Poses21 Easy Yoga Poses21 Easy Yoga Poses21 Easy Yoga Poses
Try these basic yoga poses for a healthier, calmer you. 
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?