Is yoga a good exercise for someone with back problems?

Yoga can be a perfect addition to your fitness program, especially if you have low back pain. Yoga helps improve your flexibility, core strength and balance. 

Studies also back it and I'm also living proof that certain types of yoga (more mellow such as flow) really reduce low back pain and it also helps with the relaxation component of your wellness program. 

As always, consult with your physician before starting any exercise program. It's also a good idea to meet with a knowledgeable certified yoga instructor before you dive into just any class. Go here to find one in your area: http://www.yogafinder.com

Studies have shown that certain forms of yoga can help to minimize the signs and symptom of low back pain and can improve some types of low back injuries. If you have a back injury you should consult with a physician before starting any exercise program to make sure that your body is healthy enough to engage in yoga or any other form of exercise for your back.

Yoga can be a great addition to your fitness routine even if you have back issues. You will need to make sure the yoga moves you are doing are not making your back issues worse. If you are working with a yoga instructor, let them know where your back pain is. The instructor can modify the yoga moves to your comfort level. You can also ask an NASM certified trainer to give you some safe yoga poses to do. Depending on where your back pain is certain yoga moves can actually make the pain worse. So always seek a professional first. If you are in need of more specific help please contact me. I personally have a low back injury from a boating accident, and I practice yoga once a week.

Continue Learning about Yoga

A Meditation to Find Compassion and Love
We all felt the tug at our hearts when we heard the news of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria. Thousands having to flee their homes and seek shelter s...
What yoga poses can relieve anxiety?
Kristin M. McGeeKristin M. McGee
I find the deep breathing in all yoga postures helps to quell anxiety. When we are anxious we tend t...
7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane
7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane
These simple moves help keep you flexible when you travel.
Frequently Hunching Over? Do This Yoga Move