Where can I find a yoga teacher?

If you decide to try yoga, finding a teacher shouldn't be hard. Classes are available through recreation centers, senior centers, YMCAs, YWCAs, hospitals, health centers, community centers, meditation centers and dedicated yoga studios. Many classes are relatively inexpensive -- they may even be free with your membership at a gym or other community center. And check your health plan, because some insurance companies cover the cost of classes.

Ask your regular healthcare professional for suggestions. He or she may know of a yoga class that meets your particular needs. There are also resources on the Web for finding classes. Even within hatha yoga, there are various styles and approaches. When looking for a yoga teacher, it's helpful to check out different classes to find the one best suited to your needs.

You can take individual lessons, too, but they will be more costly. Whether you decide to learn in a class or one-on-one, try to do so in person. Books, tapes and DVDs abound, but ideally, they should supplement what you learn from class, and they can help you as you establish your practice at home.

Before your first yoga class, consider sitting in on a session, if this is permitted. Would you be comfortable in the class with this teacher? Is the pacing right for you? Make sure you find a class and teacher that feel right for you. If you have a particular medical condition, make sure the instructor has experience dealing with others in your situation. And once you find a teacher you like, be sure you tell him or her about any health problems you may have.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Brain-Friendly Yoga
Brain-Friendly Yoga
Julia Roberts, Madonna, Colin Farrell and Dr. Mehmet Oz all do poses—yoga poses, that is. They aren’t alone: over 20 million other North Americans als...
What is the Fourth Tibetan Yogic Exercise?
The Fourth Tibetan Yogic Exercise is this:Starting position: Sit on the floor with your knees bent a...
21 Easy Yoga Poses
21 Easy Yoga Poses21 Easy Yoga Poses21 Easy Yoga Poses21 Easy Yoga Poses
Try these basic yoga poses for a healthier, calmer you. 
What Yoga Poses Can Help Me with My Balance?