What questions should I ask a yoga teacher before starting yoga classes?

Here are some questions that you may want to ask your yoga teacher before starting yoga:
  • Where did you learn to teach yoga? Are you certified? Do you have references?
  • May I try out a class before signing up?
  • Do you offer different levels of yoga? What are they?
  • Are you on my insurance plan?
  • Do you have a daily yoga practice yourself?
  • Do you suggest a particular attire?
  • How often do you offer classes? Do you recommend that I attend a certain number of classes a week?
  • I'm pregnant. How will that affect my participating in class?
  • I have arthritis. Do you have experience teaching yoga to people with my condition?
  • Can you suggest certain books, tapes or DVDs that will add to what I'm learning here?

Continue Learning about Yoga

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Yoga for Financial Well-Being
I started yoga about the same time I started running. My first class was confusing. I didn’t know the poses, I struggled to keep up and after class th...
Is yoga a good exercise for someone with back problems?
Lindsay Johnson, NASM Elite TrainerLindsay Johnson, NASM Elite Trainer
Yoga can be a great addition to your fitness routine even if you have back issues. You will need to ...
21 Easy Yoga Poses
21 Easy Yoga Poses21 Easy Yoga Poses21 Easy Yoga Poses21 Easy Yoga Poses
Try these basic yoga poses for a healthier, calmer you. 
Frequently Hunching Over? Do This Yoga Move