What qualifications should a yoga teacher have?

There's no licensing requirement to teach yoga, and many teachers may have done little more than complete a weekend training or correspondence course. If a yoga teacher is untrained, you may be at a higher risk of sustaining an injury in his or her class.

A teacher-organized group called Yoga Alliance recommends 200 to 500 hours of expert training. Teachers who complete the recommended training can register with the Yoga Alliance, which provides an online directory of teachers. If you have a special need, the International Association of Yoga Therapists can help you find a specialist.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Yoga to Inspire Love and Community
Yoga to Inspire Love and Community
Last week I marched. I marched with thousands of others who also felt it was important to raise our voices in peaceful unification. No one expected it...
How can I become a laughter yoga instructor?
Laughter Yoga International offers a certification course in laughter yoga. These 2 day trainings ar...
5 Yoga Myths Debunked
5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked
Find out the truth about some of the most common yoga misconceptions.
Which Type of Yoga Is Best for You?
Which Type of Yoga Is Best for You?