What qualifications should a yoga teacher have?

There's no licensing requirement to teach yoga, and many teachers may have done little more than complete a weekend training or correspondence course. If a yoga teacher is untrained, you may be at a higher risk of sustaining an injury in his or her class.

A teacher-organized group called Yoga Alliance recommends 200 to 500 hours of expert training. Teachers who complete the recommended training can register with the Yoga Alliance, which provides an online directory of teachers. If you have a special need, the International Association of Yoga Therapists can help you find a specialist.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Practicing Yoga to Enjoy a Perfect You
Practicing Yoga to Enjoy a Perfect You
Photo Credit: Leo Prieto, via Flickr Creative Commons Imagine if you started your yoga practice with the idea that you don’t need fixing; that you ar...
What are the benefits of yoga for osteoporosis?
Joan PaganoJoan Pagano
Weight bearing and weight training exercises help build and maintain bone density. Standing and inve...
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
Firm flabby thighs and get the toned legs you've always wanted with this simple yoga routine.
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?