What qualifications should a yoga teacher have?

There's no licensing requirement to teach yoga, and many teachers may have done little more than complete a weekend training or correspondence course. If a yoga teacher is untrained, you may be at a higher risk of sustaining an injury in his or her class.

A teacher-organized group called Yoga Alliance recommends 200 to 500 hours of expert training. Teachers who complete the recommended training can register with the Yoga Alliance, which provides an online directory of teachers. If you have a special need, the International Association of Yoga Therapists can help you find a specialist.

Continue Learning about Yoga

How Yoga Can Improve Your Mood
How Yoga Can Improve Your Mood
In the 1978 movie Animal House, “Toga! Toga! Toga!” was Bluto’s call for their fraternity to throw a party. The goal? To help a younger frat member, F...
What yoga pose should I do to open and release tension in my hips?
Hip-openers are a favorite of most yoga practicers, as you tend to store emotional trauma and st...
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
Firm flabby thighs and get the toned legs you've always wanted with this simple yoga routine.
Is Yoga or Meditation Better for Me?
Is Yoga or Meditation Better for Me?