What is a yoga strap?

Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
A yoga strap is a nonelastic cotton or nylon strap of 6 feet or longer that helps you position your body properly while doing certain stretches. Choose a strap with a D-ring or buckle fastener on one end. This allows you to put a loop around a foot or leg and then grasp the other end of the strap.
Yoga historically refers to the physical and spiritual practices fundamental to Buddhists, Jainism and Hindu religions. The term yoga comes from a Sanskrit word which means yoke or union, referring to the union between mind and body. Yoga's history has many places of obscurity and uncertainty but the development of yoga can be traced back to well over 5,000 years ago. However, outside India, yoga is mostly associated with the practice of postures as a form of exercise to improve muscular flexibility, and strength. What we commonly call yoga in the West is technically Hatha Yoga. Modern Hatha Yoga does not emphasize many esoteric practices associated with ancient yoga but rather focuses primarily on the physical yoga postures or asanas. Some of the more popular asanas in the United States are named in Sanskrit, but their Western names include corpse pose, cobra, triangle, bridge, warrior, downward dog and upward facing dog.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Why There’s Always a Yoga Program Just Right For You
Recently, while standing in the checkout line at my local Whole Foods, I glimpsed the yoga magazines for sale, each one with a cover image that was in...
How do I perform the modified dog pose in yoga?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
The modified dog pose helps to build strength and flexibility and can be done anywhere. Stand facing...
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
Firm flabby thighs and get the toned legs you've always wanted with this simple yoga routine.
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?