What is the mountain pose in yoga?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Mountain pose is called Tadasana in yoga. At barre3 we call it primary posture. Most doctors have a poster of this posture in their exam room, called basic anatomical position. It is the most basic and important posture. Mountain pose is difficult because we all get thrown out of balance from sitting and other daily activities. In mountain pose, your spine is long, with a natural S-curve, to support the weight of your body evenly, side to side, back to front and top to bottom. In a balanced mountain pose, your shoulder joint stacks over your hip joint over the middle of your ankle.
To perform the mountain pose, stand erect with your feet hip-width apart and pointing straight ahead. The weight of your body should be distributed evenly throughout your feet. Your pelvis should be a neutral position. Your hips should be directly over your knees and your knees directly over your ankles. Your shoulders should be directly over your hips (shoulder blades slightly retracted). Lastly, your neck and head should be in line with your shoulders (neutral position). Look straight ahead.

Continue Learning about Yoga

How Yoga Can Help Injuries—Especially Low Back Pain
Injuries can have a big impact on our daily routines and our sense of well-being. They can contribute to the stress we may already be feeling by makin...
How can I stop pain in my wrist during the Downward Facing Dog yoga pose?
Wrist aches or pains are very common with yoga practice beginners simply because they have likel...
8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood
8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood
What Yoga Poses Can Help Me with My Balance?