What is ISHTA yoga?

ISHTA is an abbreviation for Integrated Science of Hatha Tantra and Ayurveda and was developed by father and son, Mani and Alan Finger, in the 1960s. This style of yoga is a blend of many traditions with the idea of the practice being more individually based and balanced by the student's sole needs. The word ishta, in Sanskrit, means individual or personal. This style of yoga is comprised of the usual physical postures, breath, and meditation, but also a direction to find what works best to develop the practitioner's fullest potential. The Hatha part of the name is referring to the physical practice. Tantra refers to the philosophical side of yoga with a basis in the belief that our core represents complete oneness and containment. Ayurveda is the natural science of healing and in ISHTA refers to healing inner and outer being.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Why There’s Always a Yoga Program Just Right For You
Recently, while standing in the checkout line at my local Whole Foods, I glimpsed the yoga magazines for sale, each one with a cover image that was in...
Can yoga relieve lower back pain?
Sarah LoBiscoSarah LoBisco
Studies have shown that yoga can help alleviate low back pain. In fact, in 2007 the American Coll...
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
Firm flabby thighs and get the toned legs you've always wanted with this simple yoga routine.
What Yoga Poses Can Help Me with My Balance?