What does Power Yoga mean?

Power yoga blends the Eastern practice of Ashtanga with the Western desire for a vigorous workout, and is a great way to build muscular, cardiovascular and mental endurance while sweating up a storm. A typical class moves from one vinyasa (pose) to the next at a brisk pace, challenging muscles you probably didn’t even know you had, and torqueing you into poses worthy of Twister. A class usually runs 60-90 minutes, so pace yourself to sustain your ohm for the duration. Most gyms and studios offer power yoga classes -- ask at the front desk.
Power Yoga is a fairly new form of yoga, exploding in the early 90s. It is a free flowing and dynamic mix of postures from various traditions. You can definitely expect to sweat in a power class so bring a towel. Power Yoga tends to be more fitness-based and while it opens and closes with the usual warm-up and cool-down, it will not go so deep into the spiritual and meditative side of most yoga. It is considered a less strict and more playful yoga class, and often has a background of hip hop or other funky upbeat tunes. At times these classes will be taught in heated rooms. There are three well-known teachers associated with the development of this practice: Baron Baptiste, Beryl Bender Birch, and Bryan Kest.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Why There’s Always a Yoga Program Just Right For You
Recently, while standing in the checkout line at my local Whole Foods, I glimpsed the yoga magazines for sale, each one with a cover image that was in...
Is hot yoga safe for me to try?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Bikram Yoga is a new craze in the yoga world. This form of yoga will elevate your body temperature a...
8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core
8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?