What does "namaste" mean?

Namaste means, "The divine in me recognizes the divine in you." It is a combination of two Sanskrit words, namah and te, meaning, "I bow to you." It is generally accompanied with a hand gesture of palms pressed together at the heart's center and a slight bow. This salutation is used quite often in opening and closing a yoga practice. It is a gesture of great gratitude and a reminder of our oneness with each other.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Overeating Help: A Benefit of Yoga
Overeating Help: A Benefit of Yoga
Wouldn't it be nice if, just once, you were able to say no to those office muffins or that second helping of Friday night pizza? Well, guess what? Yo...
How can I prevent injuries during yoga?
There are no negative side effects to yoga, but as with any exercise program, it's always possible t...
7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane
7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane
These simple moves help keep you flexible when you travel.
Can Yoga Help Teens Cope with Anxiety?
Can Yoga Help Teens Cope with Anxiety?