What does "namaste" mean?

Namaste means, "The divine in me recognizes the divine in you." It is a combination of two Sanskrit words, namah and te, meaning, "I bow to you." It is generally accompanied with a hand gesture of palms pressed together at the heart's center and a slight bow. This salutation is used quite often in opening and closing a yoga practice. It is a gesture of great gratitude and a reminder of our oneness with each other.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Chair Yoga: Maintaining Your Comfort Zone
Photo Credit: Vincent Gallegos, via Flickr Creative Commons To stay true to your needs during your yoga postures, you may need more support than just...
What is a restorative pose in yoga?
YogaWorksYogaWorks
Restorative poses focus on “restoring” and relaxing the body. Rest provides the body with a method t...
7 Best Yoga Poses for Stress Relief
7 Best Yoga Poses for Stress Relief7 Best Yoga Poses for Stress Relief7 Best Yoga Poses for Stress Relief7 Best Yoga Poses for Stress Relief
Relax and breathe easier with these calming yoga postures.
Can Yoga Help Teens Cope with Anxiety?
Can Yoga Help Teens Cope with Anxiety?