Should I consult a doctor before starting yoga?

It's always a good idea to consult with your doctor or other healthcare professional before embarking on any exercise program, particularly if you are out of shape, over age 65 or have serious health problems. You definitely need to do so if you have high blood pressure, glaucoma, arthritis (particularly rheumatoid arthritis), spinal disk injuries, a history of retinal detachment or heart disease, or if you are pregnant. And be sure to inform the yoga instructor, too. If you have any of these conditions, it may be a good idea to begin your journey with one or more private sessions so you can better understand how to tailor the practice to accommodate your needs.

You may notice that your general health improves as you continue to make yoga a regular part of your life. But no matter how good you feel, don't stop your regular treatments. Continue to take any prescribed medications until your healthcare professional advises otherwise.

Continue Learning about Yoga

A Meditation to Find Compassion and Love
We all felt the tug at our hearts when we heard the news of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria. Thousands having to flee their homes and seek shelter s...
How can I do yoga if my wrists hurt?
You should never feel pain when performing any exercise. If you continue to feel pain, you should di...
8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core
8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core8 Yoga Poses for a Stronger Core
Frequently Hunching Over? Do This Yoga Move