What is the purpose of lying still at the end of yoga class?

This is Corpse Pose, or Savasana in Sanskrit, and its purpose is to conclude the yoga practice with appropriate time for the body to absorb the movements from class. It is a place for total relaxation and release of physical and mental states giving way to a complete surrender. This surrender exists between sleep and effort and gives way to free spaciousness without thought, movement, or distractions. It has been said that Savasana is the art of practicing death.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Chair Yoga: Maintaining Your Comfort Zone
Photo Credit: Vincent Gallegos, via Flickr Creative Commons To stay true to your needs during your yoga postures, you may need more support than just...
Can I do yoga if I am not flexible?
Yes, and a lack of flexibility is actually a great reason to start practicing yoga. The good news is...
7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane
7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane
These simple moves help keep you flexible when you travel.
Which Type of Yoga Is Best for You?
Which Type of Yoga Is Best for You?