What is the purpose of lying still at the end of yoga class?

This is Corpse Pose, or Savasana in Sanskrit, and its purpose is to conclude the yoga practice with appropriate time for the body to absorb the movements from class. It is a place for total relaxation and release of physical and mental states giving way to a complete surrender. This surrender exists between sleep and effort and gives way to free spaciousness without thought, movement, or distractions. It has been said that Savasana is the art of practicing death.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Hot Yoga: Healing or Hazardous?
Hot Yoga: Healing or Hazardous?
Summer might be wrapping up, but where I live, the heat is still in full force. So it's hard to imagine choosing to spend my yoga class in a hot oven ...
How did laughter yoga start?
The creator of laughter yoga is Dr. Madan Kataria, a physician from Mumbai, India. He started teachi...
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
Firm flabby thighs and get the toned legs you've always wanted with this simple yoga routine.
Try Yoga for Better Health
Try Yoga for Better Health